Publish an Ebook
Publishing an eBook is really simple, in StreetLib.
When you are ready to publish your book, go on your HUB platform, click on the “New Item” button, and upload your ebook file.
So, being more specific:
1. after being logged on your new dashboard HUB, click on "catalog items" on your left menu
2. choose "new item" on your upper right
3. finally choose the format you'd like to publish and follow our website, which will guide you step by step.
You’ll be redirected to the book’s publishing page, where you’ll be able to enter the metadata and upload the outer cover.
Let’s look in detail at all the options and our recommendations.
The first information the system will require you is if you'd like to use your ISBN or ask to StreetLib one:
Please, remind that if you won't assign an ISBN to your eBook, this won't be available online.
Once completed also this step, you'll achieve metadata fields. Let's have a look at them:
- “Availability” box: tick this box if you want your book to be sent to stores and go live within 24-72 hours (depends on each store). If you don’t want to put your book on sale right away, choose "not available".
- "Imprint" box: is the publisher (to be created firstly clicking on "catalog - imprints" on your left menu)
- Abstract: you must give an accurate description of your book that shouldn’t repeat what is already said in the metadata. Also be sure to avoid unnecessary information, such as price or retailer links.
- Keywords: add a few RELEVANT keywords.
- Languages: enter the language of your book as a 2-letter code (you must refer to ISO 639-1).
- Work rights and Public domain: we need this information to create your invoice and provide stores with the correct information. For instance, some stores like Google Play do not publish books with expired copyrights. We thus use the “public domain” flag to filter which books to send them. Similarly, tax on your royalties may differ if you are the book’s author of a book or publishing someone else’s book. It is therefore important that you provide us with accurate information.
- Adult content: this is very important as it ensures we correctly follow each store’s guidelines for erotic content. Please see our help center article for more information.
- Collections/series: indicate whether your book is part of a series or collection. To do so, you must first create a series through HUB.
- Authors: search for an author’s (or authors’) name. Keep it to a single author per author field. If the author is new to our platform, simply write it and click on the "Add" button to add it.
- Categories: only add categories that are relevant to your book. Make sure that you don't choose conflicting categories. For example, Fiction books cannot also have non-fiction BISACs assigned (for example: RELIGION), and non-fiction books should not have fiction BISACs.
- Paper edition: if a printed version of your book already exists, you can provide the details here. We’ll pass this on to the stores, who will then decide whether to link the digital and print versions of your book.
Once here, you can click "Create" button if everything has been correctly filled as to upload your cover and ePub file. Once done, you'll see a similar image:
The light bulb indicates that there's something to be fixed on that tab. It's normal if you've just created the eBook, because a lot of steps are still missing. It's not normal and it must be checked on already completed eBooks.
In our case, being the first publication, we will ignore the light bulb and proceed with the second tab: Assets.
The image speaks itself, but some additional information is necessary.
- Cover: make sure that your cover follows these guidelines.
- Assets: please, be sure that you've read our article: accepted formats and choosing EPUB
- Preview: please, also in this case, have a look at our specific article: the preview.
Once done, again proceed on last tab "distribution", where you'll find:
- Release dates: choose when you people to be able to purchase (“Publication”) and download (“Start sale”) your book. Find out more in our help center.
- Distribution: choose where to sell your book. Our website contains a full list of the stores we distribute to.
- Prices: our system will automatically convert your price into all the available currencies.
Separate note must be made for the protection of your eBook.
You can choose between DRM Adobe, Watermark or no protection. At date it's not possible yet to proceed independently, so please, in case you'd like to add this protection, let us know.
We usually suggest using Watermark instead of DRM Adobe. You can find out more about DRM in the blog post by Giacomo D’Angelo, StreetLib USA CEO.
Click UPDATE to publish your book. And you are done!